Time is Limited - Act Now
How Administrative Failures at the Colorado Center for the Blind Led to Unreported Sexual Abuse
The Colorado Center for the Blind, located in Littleton, serves the deaf, blind, and low vision students of Colorado.
The Center is a world-renowned organization that helps blind and low-vision individuals learn life skills at workshops and summer camps.
According to an internal investigation conducted in 2021 by the National Federation for the Blind:
- Leadership and administration of the Colorado Center for the Blind ignored concerns and buried reports of sexual misconduct committed by its teachers and employees for decades.
- Also, school leaders may have failed to properly vet teachers and counselors who had been accused of sexual misconduct before working for the Colorado Center for the Blind
- The organization may have failed to report sexual misconduct to the police and suppressed reports of assault and abuse made by participants.
According to an investigation by The Colorado Sun reporter David Gilbert, over a dozen alleged instances of sexual misconduct and abuse have gone unreported over the last two decades.
Reports And Details of Sexual Abuse at the Colorado Center for the Blind Reveal a Pattern of Cover-ups
There have been a variety of sordid details about the failures of the Colorado Center for the Blind to protect its students.
Some of the most harrowing accounts include:
- The 2001 alleged sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl by a summer youth camp counselor, of which police have no record;
- A teacher accused of sexually harassing students in 2019 who was hired despite school leadership allegedly knowing he had faced previous accusations of unwanted sexual contact; and
- A teacher who admitted he engaged in a sexual relationship with a 19-year-old student in violation of school policy
- A youth summer camp counselor walked in on a fellow counselor sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl in 2001
Of the overall 60 complaints received by the National Federation for the Blind, three are from the Colorado Center for the Blind, involving three separate incidents.
The Colorado reports include statements from six people from the Colorado Center for the Blind who say they witnessed sexual misconduct or were victims.
Outside of the code-of-conduct complaints, the report says, investigators interviewed eight witnesses regarding 16 additional incidents of alleged abuse at the school.
The Consumer Justice Action Team believes that victims of sexual abuse at the hands of predators working for the Colorado Center for the Blind should be able to get the compensation and justice they deserve.
Our network of attorneys are ready to support you.
IS THERE A CASE?
Answer a brief, private online questionnaire that asks for key details of the experience
Have the case evaluated by a legal team free of charge without any obligation to file
GET STARTED NOW
Depending on the circumstances, the case could be filed for potential compensation
Please seek the advice of a medical professional before making health care decisions. This advertisement is not associated with any government agency.
www.consumerjusticeaction.com is the property of Shield Legal LLC. 1530 Faraday Ave, Suite 200 Carlsbad, CA 92008
This website is not part of the Facebook website or Facebook, Inc. Additionally, this site is NOT endorsed by Facebook in any way. FACEBOOK is a trademark of FACEBOOK, INC.
ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. This Website is not intended to provide medical advice. Consult your doctor or physician before starting or stopping any medication.
Discontinuing a prescribed medication without your doctor’s advice can result in injury or death. are not an indication of future results. Every case is evaluated on its own facts and circumstances. Valuation depends on facts, injuries, jurisdiction, venue, witnesses, parties, and testimony, among other factors. No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. Consumer Justice Action does not itself provide legal services. Cases will be referred to third party attorneys and law firms. Do not rely on this advertisement in making any medical decision. Please call your physician before making any medical decision, including altering your use of any drug. Court costs and case expenses may be the responsibility of the client. Not available in all states. This advertisement is not intended as a testimonial, endorsement or dramatization, and does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter, either expressed or implied. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyers' credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise. Only persons age 18 or older have permission to access our Service. Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 13("Children").
© 2021 Consumer Justice Action. All Rights Reserved